Jul 5th, 2021
What is England Golf’s independent golfer scheme?
An opportunity for all golfers to obtain a handicap
For an annual subscription of £40, golfers will receive the following:
- A World Handicap System handicap index
- Personal liability insurance
- Access to the ‘My England Golf’ app to post scores, track progress and engage with friends
- Subscription is open to any golfer with a home address in England.
- Any golfer who has left a golf club within the last six months will not be eligible to subscribe.
- Registration will take place online for a 12-month rolling subscription.
- Subscribers will sit outside of the current affiliation framework (including membership of the county).
- County and national events will remain open to golf club members only. If clubs wish to create an independent golfer-only competition or, alternatively, integrate them into some or all of the existing club competitions, this would be at their discretion.
How will golfers get a handicap index?
- Golfers can obtain a handicap index by submitting scores from 54 holes of golf played in accordance with the Rules of Handicapping.
- Scores counting towards the 54-hole total can come from any combination of nine and 18-hole scores.
- All rounds must be pre-registered on the ‘My EG’ app and, on completion, digitally verified by a playing partner who is either a golf club member or subscriber to the new platform.
- Lapsed golf club members may be allocated a handicap index based on scores in the system dating back to January 2018.
The integrity of the handicap system will be maintained through a robust system of checks and balances, including:
- Processes on the app
- Setting up of a national independent golfer handicap committee
- Educating on rules of handicapping, rules of golf and etiquette
- Opportunity for peer review