Jan 8th, 2017
Rory McIlroy wins European Tour shot of the year
As voted for by My European Tour fans
Words: James Greenwood Photography: Getty Images
Rory McIlroy has won the European Tour shot of the year, as voted for by My European Tour fans, for his approach shot to the 18th at the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open.
Of the more than one million shots hit during the 2016 Race to Dubai, only ten made the shortlist for Shot of the Year. With fans voting throughout December, it was McIlroy’s five wood at the K Club that received nearly a third of all votes.
Rory faced 252 yards, over water, to a back pin on the final hole at the K Club. He was leading by a single shot and knew that one good shot would see him bag his National Open for the first time.
The shot that followed started over the water, landed on the green and came to rest less than three feet from the hole.
Here are all the top 10 shots. If you want to get straight to Rory's shot, it's number four on the video. But why not kick back and enjoy all ten of these memorable moments from 2016.
McIlroy’s shot beat Scott Hend to be named European Tour Shot of the Year. Hend’s albatross at the Shenzhen International received 22.3 per cent of the fan votes. Brett Rumford’s bunker shot at the ISPS HANDA Perth International was third.
Here are the final standings in the Shot of the Year voting:
1. Rory McIlroy - Dubai Duty Free Irish Open
2. Scott Hend - Shenzhen International
3. Brett Rumford - ISPS HANDA Perth International
4. Lasse Jensen - Netbank Golf Challenge hosted by Gary Player
5. Andy Sullivan - 100th Open de France
6. Sergio Garcia - BMW International Open
7. Kristoffer Broberg - Lyonness Open powered by Sporthilfe Cashback Card
8. James Morrison - BMW PGA Championship
9. Ricky Fowler - Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship
10. Robert Karlsson - Made in Denmark