We use our own and third-party cookies to deliver content to you throughout your experience online. It is possible that some cookies may continue to collect information after you've left our site. By using our site, you consent to cookies. Learn more here.

Ok, Got it!

Dec 21st, 2016

Golf buggies will need insurance under new EU proposal

Until Brexit happens

Golf buggies could require motor insurance for the first time under European law, the government has admitted. 

A new EU directive may see full insurance become a necessity for all "vehicles", including those only used on private land. The Department for Transport (DfT) have said they are legally obliged to consult on the changes while Britain remains in the EU and admitted the new rules could have "potentially costly consequences". 

Tthe consultation will run until March and the new directive casts doubt over the statutory off-road notification (Sorn) scheme which permits uninsured cars to be kept on driveways.

The government said that some vehicles that could be impacted by the judgement include, "electrically assisted pedal cycles, construction vehicles, agricultural vehicles, Segways, ride-on lawnmowers, motor sports vehicles, mobility scooters, golf buggies, motorised ride-on children's toys, fairground rides (eg dodgems), forklift trucks, dumper trucks, engineering plant and quad bikes".

The Department for Transport has said it would have to abide by the rules until after Brexit.

However, DfT sources have suggested a "sunset clause" will be drafted into the new rules so they can be abolished when we leave the EU.

So if you are running a big fleet of golf buggies, there is still a danger that you could be stung.


Golf buggy used as a get–away vechile

TAGS: Golf Carts, Golf Buggies, Brexit, EU Legislation, News, 2016, Golf Cart, Golf Buggy